Mister Pterodactyl
Thursday, August 07, 2008
 
Watching a preseason game tonight...
Saints at Cards. ESPN. The commentators just announced a new record for one-day sales of a single player's game jersey. Guess whose?

Jet Brett.

A month or so ago, when the story got out that Favre had contacted the team about coming back, and he told reporters that it was 'just a rumor,' I thought sure, we're going to be hearing rumors like that for a long time. Probably well into the '08 season.

When I was watching that press conference last spring, I thought: this guy's gonna get antsy. I think a lot of professional athletes face it - even if they retire willingly, the summer rolls along and training camp starts getting close and they start feeling like they're supposed to be somewhere. I think that's what happened with Favre. He was tired and he'd been hearing the 'will he or won't he' for so long that finally (just a couple months after the season ended) he decided he didn't want to go through all that again. But then when he was facing the rest of his life with no football...

I haven't paid a ton of attention to the ongoing details. I just hope for a happy ending, whatever that is. And I choose to remember the good times. Every time Favre threw his arms up and ran to the end zone? Priceless. That's my iconic image of him. The head butts with the linemen. the Lambeau Leap (which he never did, but I associate it with him). Et cetera.

And I think I may get me one of those jerseys.

Comments:
Hey kids, plug into the faithless
Maybe they're blinded
But Fav-ree makes them ageless
We shall survive, let us take ourselves along
Well we fight our Packers out in the streets
To find who's right and who's wrong

You know I read it in a magazine oh oh
Fav-ree and the Jets


(With apologies to Elton John)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger